Friday, May 23, 2008

Saturius calls for reinforcements from the front....


The first rough edit is done ...it's been about a year that I've been working on the project...and what a great journey...thanks to everyone who has worked on it...first Lois...who believes in me...that is what makes all the difference...also...Heather...and David Allen...Austin and Matt...all the actors..and the set design folks...Jerel...and Mary...and here at the end...thanks the Zach Howell...for coming in to help me edit...the one thing I think I had not planned enough for as Producer....but ...I have learned a few lessons which I will remember going forward ...you've just gotta love this stuff in the end...making a movie...the love of it is what makes the difference...the passion for it is what gets you through it...anything for that matter I guess...Zach and I met back in March '08 ...he was doing his own film..."The Devil and Tom Walker"...and he cast me as "Old Scratch"...in that one..so we worked together...and he's about as crazy for this stuff as I have become...so it's to me sort of poetic that we are doing the final edit on my project together....

As a "producer" ...which I guess I have always been as the guy behind our daily TV Weather project....whether I realized it or not....it's in the end up to you...to get the product produced..and to market...despite the obstacles...and finally the last road block...the edit..is conquered....

The whole film making process is such a wonderful creative joy...writing...producing...and for me the greatest thing was being able to act...to find out that I could pull it out of myself....and really revel in it....it's like finding a piece of myself that I knew was missing ...from a creative standpoint...as a singer....i found a creative outlet...but was out of my element...as an actor...and film-maker I find a creative outlet within the context of the camera...which I have been working with from a different angle...ie the weather / news biz...for 20 years....

I think this first rough edit will take another month or so to finalize...and so we shall be ready to enter the film fest submission time frame in June or July...which means we will actually be in a fest in the Fall of '08 at the earliest...so that is the plan...

Meanwhile I am working on the next screenplay....this one set in medieval times...when the civilized kingdom discovers that a tribe of warrior elves are living deep in the forest...of course the mortals must act to destroy these "forest people'....the problem is that the tribe is comprised of immortal magicians...
Likely another short narrative film for the film fest circuit...I want to shoot this in the Fall of '08...possibly October...when it's cooler and we have fall foliage...
I plan to Direct this one ...and am thinking about Casting right now...I have about 25 pages done...so the first draft is complete...I will go thru a few re-writes till I am happy with it then start to pre-produce....I will be writing this weekend...

No comments: